Choosing The Song: Sleeping Sickness

9:30:00 AM

Okay, so you've probably all or mostly all of you, have at least gone through my playlist for Crossfire. Some of those songs, I chose because of their lyrics. And how meaningful they are or at least how closely describe a scene or a person from the book. So this will be the first of many more posts of why I chose a certain song for my playlist. Not all will be complicated, as some will be pretty much self-explanatory. So here goes :)



One of my favorite songs for Gideon is this song called Sleeping Sickness by City & Colour . I've said it many times throughout my instagram posts. But I feel that this song just perfectly describes what he mostly went through all those nights alone before he met Eva. (Complete lyrics and video will be at the end of the post.)  This part, in the beginning of the song, I feel like is perfect for when Gideon has his nightmares ..

"I awoke
 only to find my lungs empty 
and through the night 
so it seems I'm not breathing
And now my dreams 
are nothing like they were meant to be"

We know that Gideon suffered a lot with his nightmares, hence, why the relationship he had with Corinne when they were younger, ended. He kept his nightmares a secret from everyone, but until he finally shared a bed with Eva, his reality came to the light.

"And I'm afraid
to sleep of what haunts me"

These lyrics really hit home. They describe what Gideon probably feels and goes through those lonely nights before going to sleep or even those nights when he would go to sleep next to Eva. And finally when he does end up sleeping, he most likely has one of his episodes.

"Someone come and, someone come and save my life
Maybe I'll sleep when I am dead
But now it's like the night is taking sides
With all the worries that occupy the back of my mind
Could it be this misery will suffice?"

The chorus is probably my favorite part, because the singer is asking for help. He is asking for someone to come and help him, to save him, with the hell he is currently living in. And I feel like this is where Eva comes in mind, as she is the one who finally comes to Gideon's rescue and helps him confront the demons of his past. 


So yeah, in a brief conclusion, this is my in-depth reason as to why I chose this song for Gideon. 
What do you think? Do you like it? Is there another song that you think would be perfect for another character or for Gideon? 
Let me know! 



Lyrics

I awoke
Only to find my lungs empty
And through the night
So it seems I'm not breathing
And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be
And I'm breaking down, I think I'm breaking down
And I'm afraid
To sleep because of what haunts me
Such as living with the uncertainty
That I'll never find the words to say
Which would completely explain
Just how I'm breaking down
[Chorus]
Someone come and, someone come and save my life
Maybe I'll sleep when I am dead
But now it's like the night is taking sides
With all the worries that occupy the back of my mind
Could it be this misery will suffice?
[Gordon Downie]
I've become
A simple souvenir of someone's kill
And like the sea
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
[Chorus]
oooohhh my life
Someone come and, someone come and save my life (save my life)
Someone come and, someone come and save my life (save my life)
Someone come and, someone come and save my life
Could it be this misery will suffice?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Periscope @crossfireseriesx. Powered by Blogger.